A few items from last week’s monthly meeting:
- New and existing members can join/rejoin for 2014 – £34.70. To the Membership Secretary, Patsy, by the January meeting, very latest.
- Badminton group meetings Mondays, 9 to 10 am, in the sports hall at the MH Leisure Centre. Do join us or contact us.
December’s meeting – Christmas social
- Raffle tickets for the Christmas draw – do keep selling these right up to December’s meeting on the 18th. Return counterfoils and money to Patsy (Committee) at December’s meeting.
- Please bring a plate of nibbles to share. If you want to share a bottle of wine with friends, then bring this together with some glasses. There will be fun and games on the night too – do join us!
- Lyn Taylor from Harborough Distillery will be attending the December monthly meeting. She will be letting us taste her produce and it will also be on sale at a reduced price – ideal for last minute Christmas presents.
Other bits and bobs
- Would you like to volunteer to welcome ‘newbies/be a hostess at future meetings? it can be unsettling to come into a new group and to have someone welcome new people/introduce them to others in the group, wold make the world of difference. Please see one of the committee if you are able to help us out with this or Contact Us.
- Latest County news is available. Hard copy is on the display table each month. To share, please as we only have 2 copies. however, if you do wish to have your own copy, please Valerie (Treasure on the committee) – they cost £3.08 +p&p for the year.
- Brand new Facebook page – please go and have a look at and add things on to it:
Evanda Greenwood and her ‘sis’ Marie
A huge group of Market Harborough WI members and 4 visitors thoroughly enjoyed themselves this week making their own, unique Christmas Card.
Evanda Greenwood, Social Secretary, and her ‘sis’ Marie, supplied each member with a card kit in a cellophane pack. Armed with instructions, members and visitors had great fun making their cards. We learned how to add peel off gold borders and lettering, scoring bauble shapes with a cocktail stick so we could fold and glue to create an illusion of overlapping shapes, finishing off with gold hangers on raised sticky pads. We proudly took them home to share with families. Click to see more pictures.
Marie had travelled up from the south coast to help Evanda. She displays some of her delightful handbag gift bags in the picture above.
Thank you for a great evening.
Evanda Greenwood, Social Programme Secretary, is leading the monthly meeting on 27 November. She will be showing us how to make a Christmas card. Please bring a ruler and pencil and, if possible, a fine line marker/pen in red or green. Should be a fun evening – see you then!
Highlights from the recent issue of this newsletter (see the news table at the November monthly meeting if you want to read a hard copy). Click for National WI website and details of many of the items below.
Recipes for the NFWI Centenary – if you have a recipe that has a particular significance to you as a dish, then initially send its name and photo of themselves to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gift vouchers in £10 denominations available from NFWI Finance Department, Claire Melvin.
Follow the Women’s Institute around the country on: Twitter feed, http://www.twitter.com/womensinstitute.
SOS for High Streets – give your thoughts on the WI’s national campaign https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WI_highstreetsurvey
Interested in volunteering in the criminal justice system? Find out more: www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/talkingjustice
Do you love gardening? Have a project in mind that could help the community improve a space? Then speak to Hazel Stacey as there is funding available from the national WI Gardening Club Project.
Interested in a baking qualification, demonstrator’s certificate or submitting a fruit cake recipe for the Centenary cake completion? Other training opportunities for training from IT to public speaking and confidence building – check out Denman CollegeCheck out the NFWI website, Denman College.
Craft ideas that you would like to see on the NFWI website? We’d love to hear your ideas for content you would like to see on the craft section of the WI website – http://www.thewi.org.uk/what-we-do/craft.
WI gift items, eg tea towels To order any of these items please phone Brechinset on 01394 276520 or visit the WI online shop, or to buy WI recipe books www.theWI.org.uk/WIbooks