The next meeting of the MHWI Craft Club will be on Thursday, 1st February 2018 between 7pm – 9pm in The Lounge at the Congregational Church, Market Harborough.
Last month one of our craft club members, Fiona, talked about Mary Linwood (1755-1845) who was local to this area and exhibited her embroidery in Leicester and London.
Craft Club in February will be continuing the theme of ‘Embroidery’ with members bringing in pieces of their own choice to work on.
New members always welcome.
On Wednesday, 24th January 2018, MHWI members were entertained by Glen Tillyard’s fascinating tales from his 30 year career as a professional press photographer with the Leicester Mercury.
Glen talked about how being in the right place at the right time resulted him getting the shot that led to the start of his career. He went on to describe some of the more hair-raising situations he found himself in taking photos, such as precariously climbing up scaffolding or trying to take photos from a plane that was doing somersaults!
He talked about the famous celebrities and royalty he had met during his long career. His one regret was that ‘selfies’ were not the thing at the time, so he had no personal record of these encounters!
Glen is also a well respected local photography tutor, based at Smeeton Westerby. See his website for further stunning photographs and/or to book courses:
There’s lots happening this Wednesday at our monthly meeting.
- We have an award winning photographer, Glen Tillyard, coming to talk to us about his life as a professional photographer with the Leicester Mercury over the last 30 years. Glen is also a well regarded, local photography teacher. He is offering discount to any members who book courses on Wednesday – see here for further details:
- It’s time to start the selection process for 2018 resolutions. Please see your WI Life Magazine for November/December 2017, pages 24-26, for full details. We will be asking you to vote for ONE of the following:
1. Positive body image in a digital age
2. Stop female genital mutilation
3. Raising awareness of modern slavery in the UK
4. Mental health matters
5. Healthier mouth, healthier body.
- Your 2018 subscriptions are due – cost £41.00 for this year. You can now pay by bank transfer (preferred method) – details of how to do this should have already been e-mailed to you, or by cash or cheque made payable to ‘Market Harborough WI’.
Wishing you all a really great year with Market Harborough WI!
The MHWI Darts evening held at the Shoulder of Mutton pub at Great Bowden on 10th January proved a great success. It was good to see so many members turning out to try their luck at the game and enjoy a pub meal.
Hopefully, we can arrange to do this again soon.
The next meeting of Bake Club will be held on:
Thursday, 18th January 2018 at 7.00 pm
at Fortnums Home Improvement Centre
Unit H, Riverside End, Riverside,
The theme will be ‘Tarts and Flans, Sweet or Savoury’.
New members always welcome. Contact Tina Fortnum on: email@example.com
The next meeting of the MHWI book club will be on Monday, 15th January 2018 at 8 pm.
There will be a change of venue for this meeting. Members will be discussing a book of their own choice about India over a curry at:
The Cinnamon Lounge
127 Northampton Road
Market Harborough LE16 9HD.
New members always welcome.
Contact: Valerie Hitchcox