Why join the WI?
Apart from the opportunity to meet new people and learn new skills, joining the WI also means joining a nation-wide network of members through the regional and national federations. Membership of the MHWI therefore offers a whole range of benefits:
- Free attendance of the monthly meetings of your group and early booking and some discounted rates to WI social events
- Access to the MyWI website, which offers a wealth of information to help you get the most out of your membership (You must have an e-mail address recorded on our Membership system in order to access this).
- 8 copies of the official WI Magazine – WI Life – per year
- Access to activities organised by the Leicestershire & Rutland Federation of WIs and the National Federation of Women’s Institutes
- Access to activities and courses offered through the WI Centre of Learning – Denman College
- Member Discount Voucher Booklet
For more information about the Federations and Denman College, please click here
Try it out!
You don’t have to sign up straight away and commit to paying subscriptions – come along and meet us first and attend one of the monthly meetings. A committee member will greet you and – rest assured – you will be made very welcome! You can come as a visitor for two meetings. The first one is free and you can attend the second one for a small charge of £3.50. After that you would be expected to become a member. You have to be 18 years of age to join the WI.
Details of where and when we meet can be found here.
How do I join?
The easiest way to join is at one of the monthly meeting. You will need to fill out a membership form so we can add your details to the WI Membership Database and pay the relevant subscription fee.
In order to keep the database up to date and ensure we comply with data protection rules we ask members to fill a new form in every year when they renew their membership.
The membership fee for 2020 is £ 43.00
This is for annual membership from 1 January to 31 December. If you join later in the year a pro-rata fee will be applied. For existing members payment can be made from October onwards each year and the last date for payment will be the February meeting .
We accept payment by cash and cheques payable to Market Harborough WI. If you want to pay by bank transfer, please speak to our membership secretary at the monthly meeting to obtain the details.
What happens to my fee?
Just under half of your subscription is retained by Market Harborough WI to meet local costs – for example venue hire and speaker costs. The rest goes to the Leicestershire & Rutland Federation of Women’s Institutes (LRFWI) and the National Federation of Women’s Institutes (NFWI) who organise meetings, events and campaigns on important issues voted for by members.
What if I am already a member of another WI or want to join a second WI?
This is absolutely possible – please ask our Membership Secretary for details