This month’s seasonal meeting is tomorrow, Wednesday 20 December, 7.30 pm. Do bring some food for a Dutch supper, plus glasses and your favourite tipple to share. We’re planning a fun, relaxing evening to help you get into the Christmas mood: singing, a short seasonal quiz and the draw for our Christmas raffle.
Yes, another year has almost passed. Market Harborough WI will be 3 years’ old!
The evening will begin with the AGM. We’ll be considering the resolution to go forward to the National Federation of WIs, that of organ donation. This will then be followed by plenty of time to chat with other members and share a Dutch supper (do remember to bring some food to share). If you would like to enjoy a glass of wine, that’s fine – bring a bottle and some glasses.
While eating and drinking, we’ll also be making a decoration: a heart to go with the organ donation theme. Lots to keep you busy and a fun evening. See you there.
(Want some more ideas for making a heart decoration or similar activities? Go to www.Pinterest.com)
Do make sure Wednesday 18th December is in your diary. It’s 7.30 pm at the Congregational Church, Bowden Lane. There’s lots happening and it should be a great start to Christmas festivities.
Local distillery, Two Birds Countryside Spirit (click to find out more and why they are so special), will be visiting with a chance to taste their locally produced spirits: London Dry Gin, Vodka and Absinthe. You will also be able to buy their products at a discounted price for the evening, so a great chance to complete your Christmas shopping, while enjoying an evening with friends!
‘Chrisolympics’ are planned. So, again, lots of fun for everyone as we can all take part in some crazy seasonal games.
Do bring a plate of nibbles to share – it’s a Dutch supper. If you want to share a glass of wine with other members, then do bring a bottle and some glasses.
Looking forward to another great evening to celebrate the end of Market Harborough WI’s second, very successful year. See you there!
A few items from last week’s monthly meeting:
- New and existing members can join/rejoin for 2014 – £34.70. To the Membership Secretary, Patsy, by the January meeting, very latest.
- Badminton group meetings Mondays, 9 to 10 am, in the sports hall at the MH Leisure Centre. Do join us or contact us.
December’s meeting – Christmas social
- Raffle tickets for the Christmas draw – do keep selling these right up to December’s meeting on the 18th. Return counterfoils and money to Patsy (Committee) at December’s meeting.
- Please bring a plate of nibbles to share. If you want to share a bottle of wine with friends, then bring this together with some glasses. There will be fun and games on the night too – do join us!
- Lyn Taylor from Harborough Distillery will be attending the December monthly meeting. She will be letting us taste her produce and it will also be on sale at a reduced price – ideal for last minute Christmas presents.
Other bits and bobs
- Would you like to volunteer to welcome ‘newbies/be a hostess at future meetings? it can be unsettling to come into a new group and to have someone welcome new people/introduce them to others in the group, wold make the world of difference. Please see one of the committee if you are able to help us out with this or Contact Us.
- Latest County news is available. Hard copy is on the display table each month. To share, please as we only have 2 copies. however, if you do wish to have your own copy, please Valerie (Treasure on the committee) – they cost £3.08 +p&p for the year.
- Brand new Facebook page – please go and have a look at and add things on to it:
Market Harborough WI celebrated its second, successful year last night at the AGM, ably led by our President, Hazel Stacey, in her own inimitable style. Who else could get away with not having a Minutes Secretary this year in front of the local Federation representative, Caroline? The good news is that we do now have one. Karen stepped up (apologies not sure of your last name at the moment). Claire Salisbury also stepped up to become Marketing and Social Media Secretary. Thank you, too, to Vicky Watts who has stepped down from Secretary/PR following the birth of her first baby
Yes, seriously, we have had another excellent year, maintaining a good membership. Monthly meetings have had good attendances with lots of different activities and speakers. There was some debate whether this was the Egyptian Dancing or Self Defence!
Finances are looking healthy, too, thanks to the hard work of the Committee organising the fashion show, raffle and refreshments, and, of course, to you, the members for supporting these so generously.
We then had a lovely Dutch supper, members bringing a whole range of savoury and sweet nibbles to tempt everyone. We loved the cupcakes (see picture below) with the WI logo and Inspiring Women.
Finally, members tested their knowledge on a food and drinks quiz, including a ‘name the chef’ round and Pictionary. Here’s a question for you – drawing a Danish pastry was easy but, how do you sketch an egg sandwich?! Team WInners came top – well done!
Wednesday 25th September is our second Annual General Meeting. This will be followed by a Dutch Supper (members bring food or nibbles to share) and Food and Drink Quiz. It should be a good, fun evening and the chance to mix and meet new people as you test your knowledge of food and wine.
The evening begins at 7.30 pm. If you really want to relax and have a drink, then bring a bottle of wine and a glass or two to share with members.